The Morris Light Six (as it was first called)
was introduced at the Motor Show, Olympia, in the late months
of 1927 for the following season.
In the event it only lasted for two seasons
before being replaced by other sixes, the Oxford and the Isis.
A 6-cylinder car was a new departure for Morris Motors Ltd.
if we ignore the aborted 1923/24 "Silent Six") and this one
almost got off on the wrong track. The first eleven models
were made with a 4 ft. track and most of these were subsequently
The production models, renamed the "Morris
Six" has a 4 ft. 8 in track and a 9 ft. 9 inch wheelbase in
addition to being something of a test-bed for the 17.7 hp
engine (later to be used in the Isis).
In "Light Six" form it was also the first
model to use the new all-steel body being produced with American
technology at the newly formed Pressed Steel Company and the
first Morris to use cellulose finish.
The tourer version was not reintroduced on
the wider track Morris Six. For the second year of production,
the Gordon England Design Club Coupe was listed and for the
same production year (1929) bumpers were introduced on all
models, together with a larger diameter steering wheel.
Back to top